Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a great change from your everyday Spaghetti & Meatballs. This will make 8-10 servings, so be prepared for leftovers!
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup butter
- 3 lbs lean ground beef
- 0.5 (3 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup water
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 (16 ounce) package elbow macaroni, cooked & drained
- 1 lb parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 cup milk
- Sauté onion in small amount of butter.
- Add beef & brown.
- Add next 6 ingredients & simmer until thick.
- Melt remaining butter & pour over macaroni, mixing well.
- In a large, flat casserole, layer half of the macaroni & half of the cheese.
- Top with beef.
- Spread remaining macaroni & cheese.
- Mix eggs & milk & pour over casserole.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes.
- Cool slightly & cut into squares.
The subtitle of this dish is misleading as this is nothing like the traditional spaghetti and red sauce that we are used to. My family of 6 didn't care for it. It didn't taste bad, just very different. The cinnamon and nutmeg with the wine and beef was off-putting for us.