Recipe by Ms B.
I adopted this recipe and have not yet tried it. The original chef's comments are as follows: "One of the first recipes I learned how to make when I got married! From a Sunset collection."
Top Review by naydawn
This was so good. It's also a really nice change of pace from regular spaghetti and sauce. I couldn't find the Italian style tomatoes, so I just used diced tomatoes with Italian seasoning. Thanks for a great recipe.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Italian-style tomatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaves or 1 tablespoon dry basil
- 1⁄2 lb rotelle pasta (corkscrew-shaped pasta) or 1⁄2 lb fusilli (corkscrew-shaped pasta)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- parmesan cheese, grated, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a med size frying pan over medium heat.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring, until it turns a pale golden brown.
- remove and discard garlic.
- In the same pan, add toatoes (break up with a spoon) and their liquid.
- Add oregano, wine, salt, pepper and basil.
- Adjust heat so mixture boils gently.
- Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally until sauce is lightly thickened (approx 15-20 mins).
- While sauce is cooking, cook pasta until al dente.
- Drain pasta well and place in a warm serving bowl.
- Mix pasta gently with mozzarella cheese.
- Spoon tomato sauce over pasta.
- Serve with French Bread and enjoy!