Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a good, quick vegetarian main dish, or I have served it as a side dish along-side grilled chicken as well. You could even brown and season some cut-up chicken breasts or seafood and toss them in to make it a one-dish meal. It's a pretty basic recipe where fresh vegetables are the star of the show - adjust and add seasonings to your family's tastes. Use freshly grated Parmesan cheese instead of the powdery kind you by in a jar - it makes a world of difference!
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 cup green peppers or 1 cup sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil or 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sliced zucchini
- 1 cup sliced summer squash
- 4 medium fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups stewed tomatoes
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups hot cooked pasta
- shredded parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil until crisp-tender.
- Add zucchini, yellow squash and mushrooms; saute for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and basil.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 8- 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Toss with pasta; sprinkle with cheese if desired.
- Yield: 4 servings.