Recipe by Dreamer in Ontario
Another recipe found in the Toronto Star. The recipe is the creation of Chef Lucia Vespasiani of Ristorante Tremonti. She recommends using high quality tomato sauce, homemade if possible. She also suggests freezing the rinds from parmesan wedges to add to soups for more depth of flavour. If you want some subtle heat, briefly immerse a whole hot pepper in the soup. The pepper should be slit and not diced. If you use canned beans the tomato sauce should be reduced to 1/2 cup, the wine to a splash and the water to 7 cups and the whole should then be simmered for only 30 minutes and a 19 oz can of rinsed, drained romano beans should be added at the end.
Top Review by Baby Kato
Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. My dh & I enjoyed this soup very much. A tasty robust tasting soup. Very comforting. Love the flavor of the fresh herbs and cheese in this treat. I will be making this quick and easy to make soup, again and again. Thank you so much for sharing Dreamer.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (you'll need a bit more for drizzling)
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb dried romano beans, soaked overnight, drained
- 1 cup prepared tomato sauce
- 3⁄4 cup white wine
- 14 cups water
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 carrot, peeled, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 2 inches parmesan rind (optional)
- 1 whole fresh yellow hot pepper, slit lengthwise
- 3 fresh lasagna sheets, roughly cut (2 cups)
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In large stockpot, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium.
- Sauté onion and half of garlic until translucent, 5 minutes.
- Add beans, tomato sauce, wine, water, salt, pepper, carrots, celery, basil, oregano and parmesan rind, if using.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until beans are tender and soup is reduced by one quarter, about 1 hour.
- Stir in remaining garlic, chili and pasta.
- When pasta is cooked, about 3 minutes, remove chili; discard. Adjust seasoning.
- Serve drizzled with oil and cheese.
- Makes 8 servings (10 cups).