Recipe by MISSJ1978
This came from the May 2005 issue of Family Circle Magazine. Very good, but definitely not something for someone counting carbs and watching fat constantly. I splurged and made this my fat food for the week.
Top Review by Pyneapple
I had also found this recipe in the Family Circle magazine way back in the day and finally got around to making it a few weeks ago. I was blown away by how delicious it is. Whenever I ordered Pasta Carbonara at restaurants I was always disappointed but this recipe has become one of my favorites. Try it! When cooking this for two people I usually half the recipe and it comes out to be just enough to fill us up.
- 1 lb rotini pasta
- 1⁄4 lb thick-sliced bacon, cut crosswise into thin strips
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta in lightly salted boiling water until tender but still firm, 9 minutes. Drain and keep warm.
- While pasta is cooking, place bacon in a medium-size nonstick skillet. Cook until slightly browned, about 5 to 7 minutes. Set aside.
- Whisk together cream and egg yolks in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, whisking, until temperature reaches 140F on an instant-read thermometer about 6 to 7 minutes and maintain 140F for at least 3 minutes. Stir in basil, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Add bacon and drippings to cooked pasta. Stir in cream and egg mixture. Stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese.
- Spoon pasta into a large serving bowl and sprinkle remaining cheese over the top. Serve immediately.