Prep 4 hrs
Cook 30 mins
this is a beautiful and impressive cake that i made for mother's day. resulted in oohs and ahhs!
Make and share this Passion Fruit Chiffon Cake With Passion Fruit Mousse & Cream recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 7 eggs, separated
- 2 lemons, zest of
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened passion fruit juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened passion fruit juice
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened passion fruit juice (measure separately)
- 2 teaspoons gelatin powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- white chocolate curls
- mango, slices rolled into roses
- Bake the Cake: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. You will need two 8” round cake pans, line w/ parchment paper at the bottom, greased and floured.
- Into a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Make a wide well in the middle of the dry ingredients. Add in the following order, without mixing, the oil, egg yolks, the lemon zest and passion fruit juice. With a large wire whisk, beat until smooth. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until they hold a stiff peak when the beaters are raised. They should not be beaten until they are dry.
- In three additions, fold about ¾ of the yolk mixture into the whites. Then fold the whites into the remaining yolk mixture. Do not handle any more than necessary.
- Gently pour the batter into the pans. Bake for 30 minutes at 325 degrees F, or until the top springs back when lightly pressed with a fingertip. Cool completely.
- Make the Mousse: Fill a medium bowl with ice water; set aside. In a small saucepan, combine eggs, sugar and 1/3 cup passion fruit juice. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium-low heat until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of the spoon, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat, immediately add the butter and stir well to combine.
- In a medium saucepan, combine ¼ cup passion fruit juice and 2 tablespoon cold water. Sprinkle the gelatin over the juice, let stand for 5 minutes. Place over low heat until gelatin is completely dissolved, about 2 minutes.
- Pour the passion fruit/egg yolk mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl. Stir in the gelatin mixture. Place the bowl over the ice water, whisk constantly until mixture has cooled.
- In a chilled bowl, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes. Whisk 1/3 of the passion fruit mixture. Then in 2 additions fold the lightened passion fruit mixture into the remaining whipped cream.
- For the whipped cream: whip the cream with the powdered sugar with the wire whisk until firm.
- To Assemble: Split the cakes in half so that you have 4 1” rounds. Spread the mouse between each layer and chill atleast 1 hour. Frost all sides with the whipped cream, top with the white chocolate curls and mango slices.