Recipe by EveryoneLovesaSpringer
for those who love the rich and comforting taste of macaroni and cheese but hate all the fat!
Top Tweak by adrianhedley
Added half cup of peas and sweet corn 100g shredded bresaola and 2 tea spoon paprika. Topped the dish with panko bread crumbs under the mozzarella and grated parmesan. All the family loved it
- 2 -3 tablespoons Smart Balance butter spread
- 2 -3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 3 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, Dreamfields is a low carb option
- 1 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated. Using higher quality allows you to use less
- 3⁄4 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper, as desired
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, as desired (or more)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat Smart Balance butter spread in pan over medium heat until melted. Add flour all at once, whisking until smooth. Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until flour mixture is cooked, about 3 minutes.
- Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to thicken, at least 5 minutes. Stir in salt and Tabasco.
- Add parmesan and mozzarella to sauce, reserving a little of both to sprinkle on top later. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, cook Dreamfields pasta according to directions on box and drain.
- Layer cheese sauce and macaroni in oven safe casserole dish. Sprinkle reserved parmesan and mozzarella on top of macaroni and top with S&P as desired. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and brown.
- Suggestions: if you like a spicy version of macaroni and cheese, add 1 tsp of chili powder and extra dashes of Tabasco to white sauce as it is cooking.