Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
for those who love the rich and comforting taste of macaroni and cheese but hate all the fat!
- 2 -3 tablespoons Smart Balance butter spread
- 2 -3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 3 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, Dreamfields is a low carb option
- 1 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated. Using higher quality allows you to use less
- 3⁄4 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper, as desired
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, as desired (or more)
- Heat Smart Balance butter spread in pan over medium heat until melted. Add flour all at once, whisking until smooth. Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until flour mixture is cooked, about 3 minutes.
- Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to thicken, at least 5 minutes. Stir in salt and Tabasco.
- Add parmesan and mozzarella to sauce, reserving a little of both to sprinkle on top later. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, cook Dreamfields pasta according to directions on box and drain.
- Layer cheese sauce and macaroni in oven safe casserole dish. Sprinkle reserved parmesan and mozzarella on top of macaroni and top with S&P as desired. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and brown.
- Suggestions: if you like a spicy version of macaroni and cheese, add 1 tsp of chili powder and extra dashes of Tabasco to white sauce as it is cooking.
This was an AWESOME dish!! Great change to macaroni and cheese, but so flavorful. My dad really liked this, and added olive oil to his. VERY easy and quick to put together. made for Spring PAC,2011.