1/3 Photos of Parmesan Lemon Herb Brown Rice
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 20 mins
This is adapted from a photo copy from a book or magazine. It says "The Best Light Recipe" at the top. My notes were to increase the lemon and decrease the basil. So I offered that below. Please use fresh lemon and herbs. Using the oven method gives you a fluffy and chewy brown rice instead of wet and soupy or burnt and crunchy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 354.88 ml brown rice (long, medium or short)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 2.46 ml salt
- 591.47 ml low sodium chicken broth
- 28.34 g parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/2 cup)
- 59.14 ml fresh parsley, minced
- 28.39-59.14 ml fresh basil, minced (original is 1/4 cup)
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of (original is 1/2 tsp)
- 0.59-1.23 ml ground black pepper
- 1Adjust an oven rack to the middle position.
- 2Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 3Spread rice in a 8x8 glass baking dish.
- 4Combine the onion, oil, and salt in a medium saucepan. Cover and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened, 8-10 minutes.
- 5Stir in the broth and bring to a boil.
- 6Once broth is boiling immediately pour it over the rice.
- 7Cover the baking dish tightly with a double layer of foil.
- 8Bake until rice is tender, about 1 hour 10 minutes.
- 9Remove baking dish from oven, uncover, and fluff the rice with a fork.
- 10Stir in the parmesan, parsley, basil, lemon juice, lemon zest and pepper.
- 11Cover the dish with a clean kitchen towel and let stand for 5 minutes.
- 12Uncover and let the rice stand for 5 minutes longer before serving.
Browse Our Top Brown Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Brown Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Parmesan Lemon Herb Brown Rice
Serving Size: 1 (132 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 235.0
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 4.1 mg
- Sodium 301.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 7.7 g