Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This is adapted from a photo copy from a book or magazine. It says "The Best Light Recipe" at the top. My notes were to increase the lemon and decrease the basil. So I offered that below. Please use fresh lemon and herbs. Using the oven method gives you a fluffy and chewy brown rice instead of wet and soupy or burnt and crunchy.
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown rice (long, medium or short)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 ounce parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/2 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 cup fresh basil, minced (original is 1/4 cup)
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of (original is 1/2 tsp)
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Adjust an oven rack to the middle position.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spread rice in a 8x8 glass baking dish.
- Combine the onion, oil, and salt in a medium saucepan. Cover and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened, 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in the broth and bring to a boil.
- Once broth is boiling immediately pour it over the rice.
- Cover the baking dish tightly with a double layer of foil.
- Bake until rice is tender, about 1 hour 10 minutes.
- Remove baking dish from oven, uncover, and fluff the rice with a fork.
- Stir in the parmesan, parsley, basil, lemon juice, lemon zest and pepper.
- Cover the dish with a clean kitchen towel and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Uncover and let the rice stand for 5 minutes longer before serving.
Came out perfect! Tasted divine but can't go wrong with these ingredients. Appreciate the ease of oven recipes and will be adding to my Oven 375 cookbook. Thanks Engrossed for posting.
This rice is wonderful and I will be making it again! I didnt have fresh herbs so I used dried and sprinkled them over the rice. Placed lemon slices over that and poured the boiling broth and onion mixture over everything. Baked for one hour and the rice was perfect, just a bit of bite to it. Loved the lemon flavor with the herbs, perfect combination. Made and reviewed for Kittencal's Recipe Tag game.
Nice change from regular brown rice. For a change, I did the recipe exactly as written, however, I may have left the rice in the oven a couple minutes longer than stated. The broth was cooked off & some rice was abit crunchy. My fault, I'll watch the dish more closely next time or I'll add abit more broth. Great dish, thanks for sharing.