Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I can't remember where I got the recipe, was over 25 years ago in San Francisco... But I can attest to the goodness of it, as I have been making it for that long...
- 1 1⁄2 cups parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 -4 cloves garlic, mashed or put through a press (to taste, I prefer 4)
- 1⁄4 lb salted butter
- 1 large egg, at room temp
- 1 loaf excellent artisan sourdough bread (preferably long, not round)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- This recipe works best with a hand held mixer.
- Beat softened butter, and 1 cup of cheese together with garlic.
- Add the egg and whip until the product is emulsified, adding more cheese if necessary to form a rather fluffy paste.
- Spread half of the mixture on each half loaf of bread (it will seem excessive) and sprinkle on the oregano and remaining cheese.
- Place the halves on a foil lined cookie sheet.
- Bake in the upper third of a 350 oven for approximately 20 minutes, or until the tops have puffed and are a golden brown.
- Cut into serving sized pieces.
- Excellent all alone, or with cold meats, salads, pasta etc.
Yummy! Easy to make and everyone enjoyed it! The egg makes the garlic mixture "stick" without running into the bread too much as the butter melts. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for PAC Fall 2007.
excellent ! i will prepare this many times ! patsy