From Betty Crocker's 2007 Thanksgiving publication. Recipe can be made 24 hours ahead of time - stopping after step 4. I made this for Thanksgiving dinner this year and it got rave reviews - even from my carnivorous husband. My squash was big so I made extra topping and used a couple extra Tablespoons butter for drizzling.
- Heat oven to 375 and spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Peel, halve lengthwise and seed squash. Cut into 1/2 inch thick slices. Arrange with slices overlapping slightly in bottom of baking dish.
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Reduce heat to low. Add garlic and cook 2-3 minutes stirring frequently - do not let garlic or butter brown.
- In a small bowl, mix bread crumbs, cheese and 1 T. of the butter-garlic mixture.
- Brush squash slices with remaining butter-garlic mixture. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and bread crumb mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, 30-40 minutes or until squash is tender when pierced with fork. Increase oven temperature to 425 and bake 5-10 minutes longer until browned.
- Sprinkle with parsley.