Recipe by TJW
Fresh asparagus wrapped with Parma ham, and grilled golden brown, served over a bed of lettuce and topped with a lovely blue cheese sauce.
- 16 fresh asparagus, peeled and boiled al dente
- 16 slices parma ham, thinly sliced (or Serrano ham)
- 4 ounces blue cheese
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup sherry wine
- 1 tablespoon creme fraiche
- 2 romaine lettuce hearts (to garnish)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a pan to medium high heat.
- Wrap each asparagus with one piece of ham.
- Add a bit of oil to the pan and fry each asparagus until the ham is golden brown.
- You may have to do two batches, keep the first batch warm in the oven.
- Put the second batch in the oven and throw in the onions over medium high heat and cook them a couple minutes until golden.
- Deglaze the lot with about 1/4 - 1/2 cup good dry sherry scraping up all the goodness on the bottom then let it reduce.
- Add the cream, until very warm, then throw in the cheese until just melted.
- Salt and pepper it to taste and serve immediately drizzled over the asparagus and lettuce.