1/1 Photo of Parent and Child Domburi (Oyako Domburi)
Domburi means and earthenware bowl, but the name also applies to the food served in it, generally rice with toppings of meat, eggs, poultry, vegetables or a combination of ingredients. Oyako domburi is so called because it is made from chicken and eggs served over rice. From The Complete Asian Cookbook by Charmaine Solomon.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cook rice according to recipe on pack for absorption method.
- 2Skin and bone chicken, adding salt, cutting into small dice.
- 3Heat chicken stock with mirin and soy sauce. When boiling add chicken, return to the boil, cover and simmer for 8 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, beat eggs slightly, adding salt. Add eggs and 3/4 of the spring onions to the simmering stock. Without stirring, let mixture return to the boil, then turn heat very low, cover and cook for 3-4 minutes until eggs are set but still soft.
- 5Spoon rice into a heated earthenware bowl, then pour hot chicken and egg mixture over.
- 6Garnish top with remining spring onions.
- 7Serve immediately.
- 8PS I like to marinate the chicken in 1 tablespoon each soy sauce and mirin for 15 minutes before cooking. I also add 1/2 cup frozen corn when cooking chicken.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Parent and Child Domburi (Oyako Domburi)
Serving Size: 1 (251 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 418.1
- Calories from Fat 57
- Total Fat 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 213.9 mg
- Sodium 1168.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 15.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chicken breast fillets