Domburi means and earthenware bowl, but the name also applies to the food served in it, generally rice with toppings of meat, eggs, poultry, vegetables or a combination of ingredients. Oyako domburi is so called because it is made from chicken and eggs served over rice. From The Complete Asian Cookbook by Charmaine Solomon.
- Cook rice according to recipe on pack for absorption method.
- Skin and bone chicken, adding salt, cutting into small dice.
- Heat chicken stock with mirin and soy sauce. When boiling add chicken, return to the boil, cover and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat eggs slightly, adding salt. Add eggs and 3/4 of the spring onions to the simmering stock. Without stirring, let mixture return to the boil, then turn heat very low, cover and cook for 3-4 minutes until eggs are set but still soft.
- Spoon rice into a heated earthenware bowl, then pour hot chicken and egg mixture over.
- Garnish top with remining spring onions.
- Serve immediately.
- PS I like to marinate the chicken in 1 tablespoon each soy sauce and mirin for 15 minutes before cooking. I also add 1/2 cup frozen corn when cooking chicken.