Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Secrets of Hungarian Cooking; times are guesstimate, of course.
- Saute finely chopped onion in butter.
- Add paprika when onions are lightly browned; then add potatoes and salt.
- Cover and keep stewing, adding enough water to keep potatoes from sticking. Turn now and again with pancake turner.
- Simmer until potatoes are soft.
- Before serving add a little sour cream, if desired.
I made this just as written and very much enjoyed the potatoes. Just perfect.
Being Hungarian, I grew up with this dish, I would boil my potatoes a bit before adding to the onion paprika mixture, otherwise you would have to add too much butter to keep from sticking, and too much water, so that the potatoes would have to cook somehow.
I was doubtful--didn't seem like enough butter and I wondered about the water--Thank goodness I followed directions--DELICIOUS! Thanks, Dee.