Recipe by STARTERWIFE
This is a great potato patty, even with left over potatoes if they are fried (grate them). Most often made using left over mashed potatoes. It is not a hot dish using green mild chilies (can zip it up if you want with hot jalapeno). You can speed this recipe up with store bought mashed potatoes.
Top Review by KristineB
These were awesome! My husband loved them, he is already planning when we can have them again. I left out the 1/4 cup of optional peppers, and I used some pickled jalapenos since I didn't have a fresh one. Also, I used one whole frozen green chile instead of the can. We used the serving suggestion of salsa & eggs. Wonderful recipe!
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 whole fresh jalapeno, diced (optional)
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies (small can)
- 1 whole egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup mixed peppers, red, bell, yelllow (optional) or 1⁄4 cup jalapeno pepper (optional)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Put left over potatoes in a bowl; season with salt and pepper, onion powder, and green chili to taste.
- Add egg and flour; stir and mix (you don't want a wet patty).
- Shape into patties (you can even dip in flour again for better crust).
- Drop in hot oil; brown one side, turn and take out.
- Serve with favorite salsa and eggs.
- Great breakfast—this is good eats.