Prep 35 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is like a salad served on a baguetta-style French bread, not your regular bruschetta. Toasts can be made in advance. Recipe courtesy lhj.com.
- 0.5 (16 ounce) baguette-style French bread, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups baby greens
- 8 cherry tomatoes (red or yellow)
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, finely shredded
- 1⁄4 cup cucumber, chopped & seeded
- 2 tablespoons red onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, thinly chopped
- 2 teaspoons capers, rinsed and drained
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees; For toasts; lightly brush both sides of bread slices with the 2 tablespoons olive oil; Place slices on an ungreased (Release, foil lined for easy clean-up)baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven about 5 minutes or until toasts are crisp and edges are lightly browned, turning once;If desired, place the cooled toasts in an airtight container and store at room temperature up to 24 hours(Plastic bag works great).
- For salad: in a salad bowl, combine greens, tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, cucumber, red onion, basil, capers, and garlic; sprinkle the vinegar, the 2 teaspoons olive oil, salt and black pepper over the greens mixture, tossing to coat well; let set for 15 to 30 minutes to allow flavors to blend; To serve, top each toast with some of the salad and ENJOY.
I've made this quite a few times over the years and it really is a crowd pleaser! Very different!
When I saw this recipe, I could not wait to make it. What a great idea to serve salad over toasted bread. I used Ciabatta bread (my favorite) and toasted it, then rubbed it with garlic and drizzled the olive oil over. I also whisked the dressing ingredients together before adding it to the salad. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this, Barb. Thanks for sharing it.