Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Panera's version of the delicious Monte Cristo.
- 8 slices panera cinnamon raisin bread (thick slices)
- 4 teaspoons honey dijon mustard
- 8 slices thinly-sliced swiss cheese (4 ounces)
- 8 slices honey-cured ham (4 ounces)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Spread 1/2 teaspoon mustard on each slice of Cinnamon Raisin bread.
- Assemble the sandwich: bread (mustard side up), 1 slice cheese, 2 slices ham, 1 slice cheese, bread (mustard side down). Repeat to make four sandwiches.
- Whisk eggs, water, salt and pepper.
- Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Dip both sides of the sandwich into egg mixture, lightly soaking bread.
- Place in skillet and cook until the cheese melts and the sandwiches are golden, about 4 minutes per side.
- Cut sandwiches in half diagonally and serve.
WOW! These were great! I was concerned because my husband doesn't like "strange" recipes and he had his doubts with this one. But I won him over when he bit into this sandwich! Extremely tasty - didn't change a thing. Thanks for a keeper!! Beaniej
Very delicious and very filling! I neede to make these for a CROWD, so I heated butter and oil on a large sheet pan and baked them in the oven. Turned them after 15 minutes and let the top brown. Everyone loved them. Thanks, Koechin/Chef