Recipe by HeatherFeather
This is one of the recipes that was served at the very first Pampered Chef party I attended, back in 1994. It is a very easy recipe (the hardest part is prepping the apple slices) and can be made in either microwave or the oven. I have made it both ways and prefer the oven version, but it is awfully nice that this can also be tossed into the microwave for a last minute dessert on busy nights. The demonstrator had a handy tip for the apples: After she ran them through the apple peeler/slicer gizmo they sell, she dropped them into a bowl filled with a can of lemon-lime soda (like Sprite) - and then drained them and patted them dry before using in this recipe. This way the apples didn't turn all sludgy brown before she was ready to demonstrate the recipe itself. I am allowing a large amount of prep time for those of you who don't own one of the PC apple gizmos - once your apples are ready, it only takes about 5 minutes to prepare the crisp for baking.
Top Review by chia
desserts don't get much quicker/easier than this! i do have an apple gizmo, and this was the first time i ever used it. 6 large apples were peeled, cored, sliced in 5 minutes. the topping was a cinch to throw together, popped it in the micro for 13 minutes and viola! i brought it to some friends for dessert, popped it in their micro for 2 minutes and served it with vanilla ice cream, everyone loved it!! thanks heather for a quick fix dessert
- 4 -6 large tart baking apples, peeled, cored, and sliced thinly (such as Granny Smith)
- 8 graham cracker squares (2 1/2 inches each)
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats (such as Quaker old fashioned or quick oats, not instant)
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup sweet unsalted butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- whipped cream (optional) or ice cream, garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- You will need a 12" round stoneware baking pan for this recipe (such as the Pampered Chef deep dish baker).
- Use enough apple slices to fill the stoneware pan 3/4s full (amount will vary depending upon your apples).
- Finely chop the graham cracker squares and mix with oats,brown sugar,flour, and spices.
- Add melted butter and mix well.
- Spoon this mixture over the apple slices.
- MICROWAVE method: Microwave on high 12-15 minutes or until apple are tender, turning dish after 6 minutes.
- OVEN method: Preheat oven to 350°F and bake 30-35 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream or ice cream, as desired.
- Cool slightly and serve while still warm.