Recipe by MariaLuisa
This pasta dish is named after my ddddddh (il Professore), who served as chief taster. I prefer tagliatelle to fettucine -- the noodles are narrower. Prosciutto in Italian simply means ham, and I prefer cooked unsmoked ham for this recipe. Finally, when small cultivated mushrooms aren't available, I use dried porcini mushrooms as explained in the recipe.
Top Review by VickyJ
Hi there. I made this for Spring PAC 2009. It was excellent! I didn't have any cream, so I made a cream sauce using a roux and milk, plus the seasonings. It made a great sauce! Thanks for the fantastic italian meal! :)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 small white fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup thinly-sliced prosciutto, julienned
- 1⁄3 cup plum tomato, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons dry vermouth
- 1 cup barely cooked chicken breast, julienned
- 1⁄3 cup cream
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch powdered red pepper
- black pepper
- 4 ounces white and green tagliatelle pasta noodles
- grated parmesan cheese, as an accompaniment
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the onion in a wide skillet in the olive oil over low heat until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Raise the heat slightly, add the garlic and sliced mushrooms, and saute for 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the prosciutto, tomato and butter and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the vermouth and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the julienned chicken, cream, worcestershire sauce, nutmeg, red pepper, salt and black pepper. Simmer and stir for a few moments, then turn off the heat.
- (To substitute the cultivated mushrooms with porcini mushrooms, soak 1/2-1 ounce dried porcini in warm water for 30 minutes. Lift out the porcini and wash 2-3 times in fresh water (porcini mushrooms can be sandy). Drain, chop and add to the sauce with the chicken.).
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water, al dente.
- Just before the pasta is done, turn the heat under the sauce to low.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the skillet with the sauce. Toss evenly and rapidly.
- Divide the pasta between two heated plates and serve with the grated Parmesan.