Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Adapted from Rick Rodgers Book,On Rice
- 3 ounces chorizo sausage
- 1⁄2 lb chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 cup broccoli
- 1⁄2 cup thawed frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron thread, crumbled
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes or 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- hot pepper sauce
- chopped parsley, for garnish
- In a large (12-inch) nonstick skillet, cook the chorizo with 2 tablespoons of water over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the water evaporates and the chorizo is lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the chorizo to paper towels to drain, leaving the drippings in the skillet Cook chicken in the chorizo drippings in the skillet until lightly browned, about 5 minutes, then set aside with the chorizo.
- Add the oil to the skillet and heat over medium heat.
- Add the scallions, red pepper, and garlic.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover.
- Cook until the vegetables soften, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the peas, oregano, and saffron.
- In a small bowl, combine the stock, and crushed red pepper.
- Whisk in the cornstarch to dissolve.
- Stir into the skillet and bring to a simmer.
- Return the shrimp and chorizo to the skillet, and cook until the sauce thickens and the shrimp and chorizo are heated through, about 1 minute.
- Season with salt and hot pepper sauce to taste.
- Serve with Rice or Cous Cous.