Prep 45 mins
Cook 40 mins
This a lasagna that you want to make a day ahead of time, to allow the flavors to marry. This is one of my teenager's favorite dishes.
- 9 lasagna noodles, uncooked
- 3 cups fresh broccoli, lightly steamed
- 3 large carrots, shredded (approx. 2 C)
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced thinly
- 1 medium green bell pepper, sliced thinly
- 15 ounces salad beans or 15 ounces chili beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1⁄4 cup fresh curly-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 28 ounces marinara sauce, heated
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cook and drain noodles as directed on package.
- Mix broccoli, carrots, tomatoes, bell peppers, salt, and beans. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix ricotta, Parmigiano cheese, parsley, and egg. Set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, saute the garlic, then add the marinara and heat through.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread a thin layer of the marinara in a 9 x 13 x 2 pan.
- Place 3 lasagna noodles over the marinara.
- Carefully spread half the cheese mixture over the noodles (I use my fingers to press it into place).
- Spread remaining marinara over the cheese.
- Top with 3 more noodles.
- Spread half the vegetable/bean mixture over the noodles.
- Sprinkle with one cup of the mozzarella cheese.
- Top with remaining 3 noodles.
- Spread with remaining vegetable mixture.
- Sprinkle with remaining mozarella.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Bake, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes.
- Allow to stand for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.