Prep 5 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is a slow cooker recipe for oatmeal that I found in a magazine in the dentist office. I tried it and it was very good but what I liked best about it was the barley which is very high in fiber. I cut the recipe in half which is plenty for one or two people. The recipe mentioned to add honey and milk to your taste. It also said to line the slow cooker but I didn't and it did stick to the sides but otherwise it came out fine. I used a small crock pot.
- 4 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups apple juice
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ginger or 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 coursely chopped medium apples
- Line slow cooker.
- Combine water, juice, oats, barley, cinnamon, ginger, and salt.
- Cook on low for 6 to 7 hours.
- Before serving stir in brown sugar and top with pecans and apples.