My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup garlic-infused olive oil
- 1/2 cup lime juice (lemon may be substityted)
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and rough-chopped
- 1/4 onion, rough-chopped
- 1 1/2 bell peppers, rough-chopped
- 1 (7 ounce) can ortega brand chopped chilies (tm)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 -4 lbs tri-tip roast
- 1Place all ingredients other than meat into a blender. Puree until the bits are very small.
- 2Put the meat into a 1-gallon freezer baggie. Pour the marinade into the baggie. Remove as much air as possible when you close the baggie.
- 3Refrigerate overnight. I place the baggie int a leak-proof dish to prevent spills.
- 4The next day --.
- 5Preheat oven to 500 degrees f.
- 6Place marinated tritip on a roasting rack.
- 7Roast for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 325 degrees f.
- 8Roast for an additional 45 minutes, or until internal temperature of the roast is 135 degrees (medium-rare).
- 9Remove from oven (don't forget to turn off the oven, like me). Let it sit for 10 minutes. The roast will continue cooking to a very nice medium.
- 10Slice thinly across the grain to serve.
- 11I have also tried this on the grill. In order to cook this correctly, place all the charcoal to one side of your grill. Sear the tri-tip on the hot side, about 3-4 minutes per side, in order to get some nice sear marking, then move it to the cool side. close the cover and open the vents. Open the cover about 45 minutes later.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oven Roasted Santa Maria Tri-Tip
Serving Size: 1 (148 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 301.6
- Calories from Fat 246
- Total Fat 27.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1182.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 2.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: