Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
I made thia yesterday, and my wife liked it a lot. We served the beef alongside Jenny Midget's Low Salt Savoury Rice Low-Salt Savoury Rice, adn it was wonderful!
- 1⁄2 cup garlic-infused olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup lime juice (lemon may be substityted)
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and rough-chopped
- 1⁄4 onion, rough-chopped
- 1 1⁄2 bell peppers, rough-chopped
- 1 (7 ounce) canortega brand chopped chilies (tm)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 -4 lbs tri-tip roast
- Place all ingredients other than meat into a blender. Puree until the bits are very small.
- Put the meat into a 1-gallon freezer baggie. Pour the marinade into the baggie. Remove as much air as possible when you close the baggie.
- Refrigerate overnight. I place the baggie int a leak-proof dish to prevent spills.
- The next day --.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees f.
- Place marinated tritip on a roasting rack.
- Roast for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 325 degrees f.
- Roast for an additional 45 minutes, or until internal temperature of the roast is 135 degrees (medium-rare).
- Remove from oven (don't forget to turn off the oven, like me). Let it sit for 10 minutes. The roast will continue cooking to a very nice medium.
- Slice thinly across the grain to serve.
- I have also tried this on the grill. In order to cook this correctly, place all the charcoal to one side of your grill. Sear the tri-tip on the hot side, about 3-4 minutes per side, in order to get some nice sear marking, then move it to the cool side. close the cover and open the vents. Open the cover about 45 minutes later.
A full five stars - we used the marinade and then boiled it to reuse as sauce...little spicy! Great way to do tri tip great dinner with "grillin beans" THANKS!
I did my own marinade and just used the cooking directions since Ive never used the oven to cook a Tri Tip. It came out PERFECT!! Thank you so much!
This was outstanding! Appreciate the oven method as I have never cooked a tri tip and it's windy here so the grill is unreliable sometimes. Thanks for posting the recipe!