Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
Based on a combination of recipes from: Chungah's Damn Delicious blog at http://damndelicious.net/2012/07/19/oven-fried-chicken-with-homemade-coleslaw/ and Dana Velden 's Fake-Fried Chicken at The Kitchn http://www.thekitchn.com/healthy-recipe-fake-fried-chicken-165374
- 2 lbs bone-in skinless chicken thighs or 8 whole chicken thighs
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup panko whole wheat breadcrumbs (such as Progresso or Kikkoman brands)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or grease it lightly with some oil.
- Prepare your dipping mixes: - In one bowl, combine the flour with the salt, and pepper. - In the second bowl, whisk together the eggs, dijon mustard, and 1 tablespoon of water. - In the third bowl, mix together the panko breadcrumbs, chopped rosemary, paprika, cayenne, and the 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Remove and discard the skin from the chicken thighs, unless your chicken is already skinless. Pat the thighs dry with paper towels.
- Dip the chicken in flour, shake off the excess. Then dip the chicken in the egg mixture, and finally roll the chicken in the panko bread crumbs.
- Place each chicken piece on your baking sheet. Space out the pieces so that they don't touch.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, until the chicken is golden brown, the juices run clear, and the internal temperature of the meat is 165 F (if using a meat thermometer).