Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is so easy, almost effortless to make. It tastes as good, if not better than Cracker Jacks. A snack for anytime or occasion. I got this recipe from my sister in Lecompte, La. I have been using it for 30 years now. It is great for snacks and gifts for any occasion for POPCORN lovers.
- 6 quarts popped popcorn (cooled & unsalted)
- 2 cups light brown sugar (packed)
- 1⁄2 cup light Karo syrup
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- In a small pot add sugar, syrup, margarine or butter, cream of tarter and salt. Mix and boil until the bubbly stage (about 5 minutes).
- Test a drop in water until (like soft caramel) forms a ball.
- Remove from heat and add baking soda. It will SUDDENLY fluff up. QUICKLY add this to the tall large pot (gumbo or soup size) of prepared popcorn.
- SPEEDILY mix well to coat the popcorn with the syrup mixture. It will be very sticky.
- Pour and spread into a margarine greased 9x12 pan or larger pan. Bake 1 hour at 200 degrees.
- Remove and place cooked caramel popcorn onto a wax paper to cool.
- Once cooled, then crumble (like Cracker Jacks) and place into air tight containers to keep crunchy.
- Get ready to file this one in your favorite recipes <yummy>.
this popcorn was yummy, even better the second day. next time i will definately add peanuts though since it was very sticky and would have held them well and also maybe some vanilla or other extract would have added a nice touch.. i almost preferred this popcorn more before i was cooked, very gooey and yummy! thanks! i love popcorn.