Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Just like meatloaf, everyone has thier favorite Swiss Steak recipe...well, this is ours! This comes out so tender & flavorful!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs bnls. beef steaks, your choice...I prefer sirloin
- 3 tablespoons unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt, LAWRY's preferred
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 -3 tablespoons Crisco shortening, I use the butter flavor
- 1 (16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced (or chopped)
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Cut meat into 6 serving-size pieces'.
- Combine the flour & seasonings.
- Pound 2 T. of the flour mixture into the meat.
- Heat the shortening in an 10 in., oven-proof skillet.
- Brown the meat on both sides.
- Drain the excess fat from the skillet.
- Add the stewed tomatoes & the other vegetables.
- Sprinkle the worcestershire sauce on top.
- Cover & bake for 1 hour, 15 minutes.
- Remove the meat from skillet & keep warm.
- Skim excess fat from skillet.
- Combine ¼ cup water with the remaing flour mixture & stir into the sauce.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, for 2 miuntes or until thickened.
- Serve meat & sauce over hot rice or noodles.