Prep 20 mins
Cook 23 mins
In my quest to make the ULTIMATE Chocolate Chip cookie, one that's healthier than most, I decided to play around with oatmeal. I was never a big fan of traditional oatmeal cookies, but grinding up the oatmeal to use in place of regular flour in cookies sounded both interesting and healthy. My biggest critics (my family) thinks these are by far the best "healthy" chocolate chip cookie they've ever had! Hope you do too!
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups ground oatmeal (to flour consistency)
- 1⁄4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons instant coffee, finely ground
- 12 ounces chocolate chips
- Before starting, grind enough oatmeal in the food processor to make the necessary 1 3/4 cups you will need to make these cookies! Or, if you're lucky enough to find Oat Flour, use that!
- With electric mixer, blend butter with both sugars, egg and vanilla extract.
- Add dry ingredients to mixture- blend well.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spoon golf ball-size balls of mixture onto prepared cookie sheets (either use cooking spray or parchment paper).
- Bake at 265 degrees for 23 minutes (yes, I know this sounds strange, but trust me, it works!).
This has become my go-to recipe for chocolate chip cookies! Using oat flour is the key to the perfect texture and taste. I usually add a cup of chopped walnuts and 1/2 cup shredded coconut (which drives the cookie off-the-chart de-lish!)
made these last year, as a subsitute to lactation cookies, did not add anything to it, no chocolate chips, no nuts, no flax seeds or brewer's yeast...... not sure how it impacted my supply, but the were absolutely delicious!!!!!! the salt and coffee created great flavour......... had been searching for this recipie for quite sometime, now plan to make them again today as a healthy post pregnancy snack :)
WOW. These cookies were excellent and are my new go-to cookie recipe and were a HUGE hit at our house. The coffee brings out the chocolate flavor. The cookies were crisp on the outside, moist on the inside and the flavor was fantastic.