Recipe by bullwinkle
I got this recipe from a Southern Hertiage cookbook. I changed it a little.My family likes me to leave the dough uncooked and placed it between the layers of peach so it is like a dumpling in the middle. I don't know what the preparation time is.
Top Review by Dasme
I had some difficulty with the dough. It seems that a cup of shortening was too much for the amount of flour. The mixture of flour and shortening seemed more "mushy" than a "coarse meal". I also did not need to use all of the ice water. I probably should have let the dough chill solely in the refrigerator. I let the dough chill in the freezer while I was cutting up and preparing the peaches. I rolled out the strips and baked them in the oven for 10 minutes. I returned the remainder of the dough to the freezer. The dough kept breaking apart while I was working with it. The taste was good but I was disappointed with how the crust turned out.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup cold water, plus
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 5 cups sliced fresh peaches (about 10 medium)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Make cobbler pastry first by combining flour and salt.
- Using a pastry blender cut in shortening until mixture resemble coarse meal.
- Sprinkle water over flour mixture,and stir with a fork until the ingredients are moistened.
- Then form dough into a ball and chill.
- Roll out chilled dough on a floured surface to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut into 1 inch strips and save enough strips to make a lattice top. I usually save ten or more strips.
- Place the remaining strips on a baking sheet and bake at 450* for 10 minutes or you can leave them uncooked like I do.
- To make the peach filling combine peaches, water and butter in a medium size pan.
- Bring this mixture to a boil and cook over low heat until peaches are soft.
- After the peaches are soft add 1 1/2 cups sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt .
- Cook over low heat, stirring gently until the sugar has dissolved and the peach mixture has thicken.
- Put half of the peach mixture in a lightly greased 12x8x2 baking dish.
- Put the cooked or uncooked pastry stips on top of peach mixture.
- Spoon the rest of the peach mixture over the pastry strips in the baking dish.
- Take the remaining pastry strips and make a lattice topping over the top layer of peaches.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon sugar over lattice top.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes at 375*.