Recipe by wjorma
We just love John Wayne movies and a friend in Az. gave us this recipe John Wayne is famous around the Maricopa, Arizona, area as he was one of the owners of Red River Farms, a large feed lot near there.
Top Review by Danelle J.
I have a recipe book signed by Lloyd Bridges (His wife wrote it, giving full credit to John for this recipe!) This was my husband's favorite recipe, it can be a little greasy depending on the cheese, but is delicious non-the-less!! Easy and yummy!! I especially like that the recipe has stayed the same. :)
- 8 ounces canned diced green chiles
- 1 lb monterey jack cheese, coarsely grated
- 1 lb cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
- 3⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Mix chiles and cheeses and put into a buttered shallow casserole.
- In a small bowl combine milk, egg yolks, flour, salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl beat egg whites to stiff peaks.
- Gently fold whites into the yolk mixture.
- Then pour the mixture over the cheese and chile mixture and carefully blend.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and lay tomato slices over the entire top.
- Return to oven and bake 30 minutes longer, or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
- Garnish with a sprinkling of green chiles. Serves 8.