Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is an easy casserole to put together. It may be a complete meal or serve it with your favorite meat. I use canned chunky Italian tomatoes that already have basil, oregano & garlic in them. If you use this type of canned tomato omit the basil, oregano and cut the garlic back to 3 cloves. Salting the eggplant does not make the recipe salty it simply removes moisture from the eggplant- most of the the salt flows out with the moisture.
- 1 cup orzo pasta, cooked according to package instructions
- 1 (14 ounce) canchunky tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons fresh basil, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled if thick skinned
- 4 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1⁄2 lb green beans, frenched (sliced diagonally)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- Cook the orzo according to package instructions, cool.
- Slice the eggplant into 1/2" slices, salt both sides and place on paper towels, cover with paper towel allowing the slices to drain for 1 hour. Pat dry with fresh paper towels, set aside.
- In a lightly greased 9 x 13 x 3" casserole dish.
- Mix together the orzo, tomatoes, pepper, green beans, onion and garlic season with salt & pepper.
- Pour into the casserole dish top with eggplant slices.
- Place in 375F oven uncovered for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile break the crustless bread slices into crumbs.
- Melt butter/margarine in a skillet, mix in crumbs, do not brown them, remove and mix in the Parmesan and parsley.
- Remove casserole from oven, sprinkle the crumb mixture on top and return to oven bake a further 15 minutes or until the crumbs are golden.
This looked good but there was no outstanding taste.