1 hr 20 mins
This is an easy casserole to put together. It may be a complete meal or serve it with your favorite meat. I use canned chunky Italian tomatoes that already have basil, oregano & garlic in them. If you use this type of canned tomato omit the basil, oregano and cut the garlic back to 3 cloves. Salting the eggplant does not make the recipe salty it simply removes moisture from the eggplant- most of the the salt flows out with the moisture.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup orzo pasta, cooked according to package instructions
- 1 (14 ounce) can chunky tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons fresh basil, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled if thick skinned
- 4 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1/2 lb green beans, frenched (sliced diagonally)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1Cook the orzo according to package instructions, cool.
- 2Slice the eggplant into 1/2" slices, salt both sides and place on paper towels, cover with paper towel allowing the slices to drain for 1 hour. Pat dry with fresh paper towels, set aside.
- 3In a lightly greased 9 x 13 x 3" casserole dish.
- 4Mix together the orzo, tomatoes, pepper, green beans, onion and garlic season with salt & pepper.
- 5Pour into the casserole dish top with eggplant slices.
- 6Place in 375F oven uncovered for 45 minutes.
- 7Meanwhile break the crustless bread slices into crumbs.
- 8Melt butter/margarine in a skillet, mix in crumbs, do not brown them, remove and mix in the Parmesan and parsley.
- 9Remove casserole from oven, sprinkle the crumb mixture on top and return to oven bake a further 15 minutes or until the crumbs are golden.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orzo Vegetable Casserole With Crumb Topping
Serving Size: 1 (301 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 397.6
- Calories from Fat 108
- Total Fat 12.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 27.3 mg
- Sodium 7258.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.0 g
- Sugars 10.2 g
- Protein 13.0 g