Recipe by Sharon123
The Eastern Orthodox traditional religion prescribes four to seven weeks of fasting before Christmas and Easter, during which only vegan food is to be consumed. So all who follow this religion are on a vegan diet for this period of time. From Vegan Bulgarian Recipes to Keep Body and Soul Healthy, and tweaked just a little.
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dried mint (or 3 tbls. fresh mint)
- 1 teaspoon honey (optional, sometimes I like a hint of sweetness)
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup black olives, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup fresh tomato, diced
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix olive oil, lemon juice and mint together in a bowl. Whisk in honey now if using. Place the dressing in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Cook the orzo according to package directions in salted water and rinse thoroughly with cold water when you strain it(cook in about 3 cups salted water 7-10 minutes-al dente, then strain).
- Transfer to a large bowl and toss with the olive oil. Allow orzo to cool completely.
- Once orzo is cooled, add onions, peppers, olives, parsley and tomatoes, stirring until well mixed.
- Stir the dressing, toss with the salad, mixing evenly to coat.
- Add salt and pepper and sprinkle with sunflower seeds.