Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe comes from the Oct/Nov issue of Taste of Home. I have not tried it but wanted it in My Cookbook as DH is a huge pot roast fan and I am always looking for something different. There didn't seem to be a similar recipe on Zaar, so if you try this, let us know what you think!
- 3 lbs rump roast
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 cup fresh sugar snap pea
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- In a Dutch oven, brown roast in oil on all sides, then drain.
- Add onion.
- Drain pineapple, reserving the juice, and set pineapple aside.
- In a small bowl, combine pineapple juice, soy sauce, garlic and ginger, and pour over roast.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Add celery and carrots, cover and simmer 20 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Add the peas, mushrooms and reserved pineapple.
- Cover and simmer 15 minutes more or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Remove meat, vegetables and pineapple from pan and keep warm.
- Combine cornstarch and cold water and add to drippings in pan.
- Bring to a boil, cook and stir until thickened.
- Serve gravy with meat, vegetables and pineapple.
Nice moist beef roast! We really enjoyed the pineapple flavour of the sauce, and the meat was very tender. I saw carrots listed in the instructions, but there were no carrots listed in the ingredients, so I hadn't bought any. Overall, a nice recipe. Thanks KeyWee!