Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
This is a very light and tasty soup and very easy to make. Can be served over cooked rice if desired.
Top Review by Agnes DiFonzo
Although I saved this recipe quite awhile ago I just got around to trying it. I had soup very much like this in a local restaurant and wantted to make it myself. This soup is really, really delicious, easy to make also. I really love it and would encourage all you out there in Internet land to try this!
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 8 slices fresh gingerroot, 1/8 inch thick
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 6 large green onions, cut to 1 inch lengths
- 1 large sweet red pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 cup fresh button mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup bamboo shoot
- 1⁄2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large cooking pot, add chicken broth, sliced ginger root, peppercorns and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Strain broth and discard ginger root and peppercorns.
- Return strained broth to cooking pot.
- Add sliced green onions, sliced red sweet pepper, sliced mushrooms, bamboo shoots, rice wine vinegar, chili powder and sesame oil.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are just tender crisp.
- Serve in soup bowls.
- If desired, serve this soup over cooked white or brown rice.