Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Great winter pick me up. My family traditional drinks this on Christmas morning.
- 10 Oreo cookies, coarsely chopped
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Cool Whip, thawed
- 4 candy canes (for garnish) or 4 peppermint stick candy (for garnish)
- Blend chopped cookies, milk, syrup and peppermint extract in electric blender until combined.
- Pour into 2-quart saucepan.
- Heat over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until hot.
- Latle into 4 mugs.
- Top with Cool Whip; garnish with candy canes.
- Serve warm with additional cookies.
Made this today because I was feeling under the weather and had a taste for minty comfort food. I halved the recipe, since it was just me enjoying it, and had to made a few changes: I used vanilla rice milk instead of cow's milk (allergy), Trader Joe's organic dairy-free chocolate syrup, and omitted the cool whip because I had none in the house. This has a very nice, *rich* flavor -- the mint comes through quite strongly, but not overpoweringly so -- but I had a strange problem with the consistency. For the Oreos, I used pre-crushed bits (my roomie brough home a bag of the stuff, and we've been trying to use it up), so maybe I miscalculated the amount of Oreo bits to use... but I think that it more likely was a result of a chemical reaction of some sort caused by the rice milk combined with the pure peppermint extract. Whatever the cause, as soon as it got hot, it started to *really* thicken, and very quickly so -- to the point that it was a step away from being more like a syrup than a drink! The flavor was still excellent, though I do think next time I would reduce the amount of chocolate syrup as it's a bit too rich for my taste. Thanks for sharing! :)