Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
from tide and thyme. These cupcakes have a little treasure at the bottom of course, the Oreo cookie. Which, is such an unexpected and delightful treat. These cupcakes are vanilla, not chocolate. Sorry for the deceiving photo, another user put it up and I cannot remove it.
For the cupcakes
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 20 Oreo cookies (halves, with cream filling attached)
For the frosting
- 8 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 4 cups powdered sugar (1 lb)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter flavoring or 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons Oreo cookies, finely crushed
- 10 Oreo cookies, cut in half, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with cupcake liners. Twist Oreos in half and set aside the extra cookies for crushing for the frosting. Place the side with cream filling in the bottom of each cupcake liner, cream-side facing up.
- Cream butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. In a 2 cup measuring cup, combine the buttermilk and vanilla. Alternately add the dry ingredients and the liquid to the batter, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Fill lined cupcake tins with batter. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until tooth pick inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool 10 minutes in pan before transferring to a cooking rack.
- For the frosting, in the bowl of your standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or using a hand mixer) cream the butter and shortening on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the powdered sugar, about ½ cup at a time, until thoroughly mixed. Add the butter flavoring, and Oreo crumbs; mix well. Frost cupcakes as desired. Top cupcakes with half of an Oreo cookie, for garnish.
Thought the instructions were not very clear (which bowl to beat the eggs into, and if you were supposed to incorporate the dry and wet via electric mixer or by hand) - I don't bake a lot so that could be why. They came out good, not great, the oreo cookie in the bottom was not as great as I expected.
How are the chocolate, the batter is yellow?
The frosting has no "wet" ingredients in it so you have to add about one half of a cup of milk to the frosting. Also instead of putting half an oreo to the top just crush extra Oreos and sprinkle them on top. Lastly the serving size I got was 36 cupcakes not 24.