Recipe by Cassie2007
Another recipe from my Foods class. Very good. If your kitchen is fairly cool you probably don't need to chill the dough. It just makes it easier to handle.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- granulated sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 cup granulated sugar, the powdered sugar, butter, shortening, and eggs.
- Beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add the flour, orange peel, cream of tartar, baking soda, cardamom, ginger, and salt.
- Beat at low speed until a soft dough forms.
- Cover with plastic wrap.
- Chill 1-2 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees while dough is chilling.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls.
- Roll balls in granulated sugar.
- Place balls 2 inches apart on ungreased cookies sheets.
- (Optional) Flatten balls with bottom of drinking glass, wiping glass with damp cloth to prevent sticking.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let cool for 1 minute before removing from cookies sheets.
- Cool completely before storing.