2 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
In 'Around My French Table' by Dorie Greenspan
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 29.58 ml olive oil or 29.58 ml unsalted butter
- 2 yellow onions, thinly sliced (or 1 Spanish onion)
- 2 celery ribs, trimmed and thinly sliced (save the leaves from 1 stalk)
- 1 large carrot, trimmed, peeled, and thinly sliced
- 1419.54 ml chicken broth or 1419.54 ml vegetable broth
- 236.59 ml french green lentil, rinsed and picked over (lentils du Puy)
- 1 strip orange peel, about 1 x 2 inches, white pith removed and cut into 3 pieces
- 6 black peppercorns
- 3 coriander seeds
- 1 whole clove (the spice, not garlic)
- fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped (1-inch piece)
- fresh ground pepper
- yogurt, for topping
- chopped cooked bacon, for topping (or Lardons)
- 1Warm the oil or melt the butter in a large Dutch oven or soup pot over low heat.
- 2Toss in the onions, celery (including the leaves), and carrot; stir the vegetables until they glisten, then cover the pot and cook, stirring often, until they soften but don't color, about 10 minutes.
- 3Add in the broth, lentils, citrus peel, peppercorns, coriander, clove, and ginger; increase heat and bring to a boil.
- 4Decrease heat so that the broth just simmers, put the cover on the pot, and gently simmer until the lentils are so soft you can mash them with the back of a spoon, 60-90 minutes.
- 5After the soup has simmered for about 45 minutes, season it with salt and pepper.
- 6Working in batches, puree the soup-spices, celery leaves, orange peel, and all-in a blender or food processor; or use an immersion blender.
- 7Wipe out the pot and pour the soup back into it, and reheat.
- 8Ladle the soup into plates or bowls; garnish each with a dollop of yogurt, and sprinkle with bacon, if desired.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orange-Scented Lentil Soup
Serving Size: 1 (382 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 216.4
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 769.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.3 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 13.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: