Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
A simple take on the classic Coconut Cream Pie.
- 1 prepared pie crust, raw
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 orange, zest of
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 8 ounces whipped cream (optional)
- 1 dash toasted sweetened flaked coconut, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Arrange the crust in an 8- or 9-inch pie pan, folding and crimping the edges as desired. Place a sheet of parchment paper over the crust, then set enough beans or pie weights in the center to weigh down the bottom of the crust. Bake for 10 to 15 minute , or till the crust is set and lightly browned.
- Remove the crust from the oven and set aside to cool to room temperature. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the egg yolks, flour, sugar, salt, orange zest, vanilla, orange juice, heavy cream, and coconut. Mix till slightly frothy on the top, then pour into the cooled pie shell.
- Place the pie in teh center of the oven and bake till set, about 40-50 minute Set pie aside to cool completely, then top with whipped cream and toasted coconut.