Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This makes a beautiful side dish to serve with pork or chicken. I use a combination of yellow and red bell peppers for a wonderful color combination. The recipe is from The Diabetic Cookbook with some minor changes.
- 3 1⁄2 cups broccoli florets
- 1⁄2 medium red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1⁄2 medium yellow bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 green onions, sliced in 1/2-inch slices on the diagonal
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2⁄3 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons dijon-style mustard
- Place the broccoli and bell peppers in a steamer basket.
- Place over 1 to 2 inches of boiling water, cover and steam for 6 to 8 minutes or just until crisp tender.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter, add green onions and garlic.
- Cook until onion is tender.
- Stir in cornstarch, orange juice and mustard.
- Cook and stir until mixture is thickened and bubbly; stir and continue to cook for 2 minutes more.
- Place steamed broccoli in a serving bowl, pour sauce over and toss gently to coat.
Omg this was wonderful! I use red, orange and yellow baby peppers. I didn't cook the peppers as long as the broccoli because I didn't want them to be too soft but otherwise made this delicious dish as directed. Made for ZWT9 Soup A Stars
This was a nice side to an Asian meal. Simple and good. Thanks for sharing, Paula.
This was a great dish, PaulaG. The sauce was a little overpowering for my family, but it was a great side dish for our beef dinner. Made for ZWT #9 SE Asia.