Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Rum and orange juice and rind make a tantalizing flavour combination in this handsome dessert. Light sponge layers with Orange filling and Orange butter icing. If you intend to freeze, do not add garnish until serving time.
FRENCH SPONGE LAYERS
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 6 tablespoons light rum
- 2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup icing sugar
- 1⁄4 cup light rum
ORANGE BUTTER ICING
- 3 cups sifted icing sugar
- 1⁄3 cup soft butter
- 2 tablespoons grated orange rind
- 2 tablespoons orange juice (approx)
- FOR THE SPONGE LAYERS: Put UNBROKEN eggs in a bowl and cover with hot tap water, then let stand until water is lukewarm.
- Drain and repeat once again. Don’t use boiling water-you are just warming the eggs, not cooking them.
- Grease TWO 9 inch layer cake pans (or springform pans) and line bottoms with waxed or parchment paper.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Warm large mixer bowl with hot tap water.
- Dry bowl, then break the warm eggs into bowl.
- Add sugar and vanilla and beat at high speed until the mixture stands in peaks, about 20 minutes.
- Melt butter and COOL to lukewarm.
- Sprinkle 2 Tablespoons of the flour over the egg mixture and fold it in gently but quickly with a rubber scraper. Repeat until all the flour is added, then sprinkle the butter along with the grated orange rind, 1 teaspoon at a time over the batter, folding gently but quickly after each addition. Speed is important here.
- Turn the batter into prepared pans and bake 25 to 30 minutes or until tops spring back when touched in the middle.
- COOL 10 minutes, then loosen cakes carefully around the sides and turn out on racks to finish cooling. Peel off paper carefully while cake is still WARM.
- Split each layer into 2 thin layers and sprinkle each layer with 1 1/2 Tablespoons rum.
- FOR THE ORANGE FILLING, Soak gelatin in cold water 5 minutes and heat until gelatin is dissolved. Cool slightly. Whip cream and icing sugar in a well chilled bowl until beginning to thicken and continue beating while adding 1/4 cup rum and the gelatin mixture. Beat until stiff. Spread this mixture between the layers.
- Chill for a few minutes.
- FOR THE ORANGE BUTTER ICING, Combine all ingredients using enough orange juice to make an icing that is easy to spread.
- Spread whole outside of torte with Orange Butter Icing and garnish top edge with more grated orange rind or orange sections if desired. Chill. Twelve servings.
- Recipes Only.