Recipe by lornaloo
such a wonderful springtime treat, and part of my favorite breakfast when served on top of greek yogurt. Also would be amazing on pancakes. It is also wonderful on toast, or for dessert with vanilla ice cream... or just whipped cream!
- 1 lb rhubarb
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons orange liquor like Grand Marnier
- 1 orange, zest of
Directions See How It's Made
- trim the rhubarb of it's ends and split each stalk down the middle. Chop the rhubarb into 1 centimeter chunks.
- In a large bowl, toss the rhubarb with the sugar, orange liquor, and orange zest.
- In a medium-heavy bottomed pan over medium heat, melt your butter. when the butter melts, add the sugar coated rhubarb. cook over medium heat, undisturbed, for 2 minutes. when rhubarb has started to release juices, gently stir.
- continue cooking over medium heat until all the juices release from the rhubarb, and it begins to slightly thicken, or about 15 minutes. The compote will be thick, and the rhubarb slightly tender.