Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
A light dessert favorite
- 1 tablespoon gelatin, unflavored
- 4 tablespoons water, cold
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained (save 5 oranges for decoration)
- 8 ounces angel food cake, cut into thin slices
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- pecans, Chopped, if desired (for decoration)
- nonstick cooking spray
- Measure gelatin and sprinkle over cold water; let stand 1 minute. Add boiling water and stir until gelatin is completely dissolved.
- Add sugar, orange and lemon juice. Chill until consistency of unbeaten egg whites.
- Whip 1 cup cream and fold into above mixture. Add crushed pineapple.
- Prepare a 2 or 2.5 quart glass bowl or a 9-inch rectangular glass dish with a non-stick surface. Arrange a layer of angel food cake on the bottom of the dish.
- Add a layer of pineapple cream and a few mandarin oranges. Continue layering, ending with the pineapple cream. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.
- Whip remaining 1 cup of cream and add confectioners' sugar.
- Unmold the dessert and cover with sweetened whipped cream.
- Decorate with mandarin oranges and pecans, if desired.