Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Cooking Light 2003.
Make and share this Orange Marmalade Layer Cake recipe from Food.com.
- cooking spray
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 9 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 1⁄4 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 (12 ounce) jar orange marmalade, melted and cooled
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen reduced-calorie whipped topping, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Coat 2 (9-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray, and line bottoms of the pans with wax paper.
- Lightly spoon sifted cake flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine sifted flour, baking soda, and salt, stirring with a whisk.
- Place butter in a large bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes).
- Gradually add 1 3/4 cups sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until well blended. Beat in orange rind and vanilla. Add egg whites, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine buttermilk and milk. Add flour mixture and buttermilk mixture alternately to butter mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Pour batter into prepared pans; sharply tap pans once on counter to remove air bubbles.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 20 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pans. Cool completely on wire rack.
- Combine juice and 1/4 cup sugar; stir until sugar dissolves. Pierce the cake layers liberally with a wooden pick. Slowly drizzle juice mixture over cake layers.
- Carefully place 1 layer on a plate; spread with 1/3 cup marmalade. Top with remaining layer; spread remaining marmalade on top of cake. Fold sour cream into whipped topping; spread over sides of cake. Cover and chill at least 2 hours.