Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 mins
A twist on the classic eggnog that is traditionally served around the holidays. Here, the classic flavor combination of orange and chocolate intermingle and a touch of spices is also here for added flavor.
- 946.36 ml milk
- 2.46 ml orange extract
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 4.92 ml finely shredded orange peel
- 12 egg yolks
- 177.44 ml granulated sugar
- 177.44 ml brown sugar (light or dark)
- 414.03 ml rum (light or dark)
- 177.44 ml orange liqueur (use Grand Marnier, or Cointreau, if these are unavailable, use Triple Sec)
- 354.88 ml unsweetened cocoa powder (use bittersweet or semisweet) or 354.88 ml dark chocolate squares, melted (use bittersweet or semisweet)
- 946.36 ml light cream
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 4.92 ml ground nutmeg
- Combine milk, cloves, 1/2 t orange extract, orange peel and cinnamon in a saucepan, and heat over lowest setting for 5 minutes. Slowly bring milk mixture to a boil.
- In a large bowl, combine egg yolks and sugar. Whisk together until fluffy. Whisk hot milk mixture slowly into the eggs.
- Pour mixture into saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 3 minutes, or until thick. Do not allow mixture to boil. Let cool for about an hour.
- Stir in rum, orange liqueur, cream, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and nutmeg. Refrigerate overnight before serving.