Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This has become a Christmas morning tradition for my husband and me every year. I make it the night before, then warm it up first thing in the morning. It's wonderful with mimosas, or a warm cup of tea (or coffee, if you prefer).
- 1 orange
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄3 cup walnuts
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 13"x9" pan.
- Squeeze orange, reserving 1/3 C juice for topping (removing seeds).
- In a food processor using the metal blade, place orange peel and pulp cut into large chunks, cranberries, and 1/3 C walnuts. Pulse until coarsely chopped. Remove from processor, place in medium size bowl.
- In processor, place all remaining cake ingredients, and blend well, scraping down sides.
- Pour and scrape cake batter into bowl with orange mixture and stir well to blend.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove to rack. While cake is still warm, drizzle 1/3 reserved orange juice over cake.
- In a small bowl, mix together 1/3 C sugar and cinnamon. Stir in 1/4 C chopped nuts.
- Sprinkle sugar mixture over cake. Cool completely (well, cool until you can't stand not eating it! I actually serve it warm.).