Recipe by mikey & ev
Recipe courtesy Ingrid Hoffman. This is a super flavorful, refreshing "salad." It is really easy to make ahead of time. In one container I put the cooled quinoa; in another I put the raisins, zest, parsley, cumin and cucumber; then in a separate container I put the liquids (vinegar, juice, olive oil) - then when you're ready, just combine it all! Total time includes cooling time for the quinoa.
- 2 cups quinoa
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth, homemade or 2 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced (light and white green part only)
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin, chopped
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, grated
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cucumber, peeled, halved, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the quinoa in a fine-mesh sieve and rinse under cold water until the water runs clear.
- Bring the chicken stock to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the quinoa and return to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer the quinoa until it has expanded fully, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Uncover, fluff with a fork and set aside to cool.
- Place the cooled quinoa in a large bowl. Add the scallions, raisins, rice vinegar, orange juice and zest, olive oil, cumin, cucumber and parsley and toss to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold, then serve.