Prep 12 hrs
Cook 1 hr
I love these doughnuts; the orange glaze which has orange juice and zest in it is delicious! This recipe is perfect if you are baking for the holidays or having guests over. We have been making this recipe for about 5 yrs. We found it in the Oct. /Nov. 1999 Taste of Home magazine. Yield is about 36 crullers/ 18-20 servings
- EVENING BEFORE:.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water.
- Beat in the milk, butter, sugar, salt and eggs.
- Beat in 2 cups of flour until smooth. Add remaining flour.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- THE NEXT MORNING:.
- Punch dough down; divide in half. Return one portion to the refrigerator.
- On a floured surface, roll out second portion into an 18-in. x 9-in. rectangle; cut width-wise into 3/4-in. strips.
- Fold each strip in half lengthwise and twist several times. Pinch the ends to seal. Place on greased baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough. Cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 35-45 minutes.
- In a wide, large pot or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry crullers, a few at a time, until golden, about 1 minute on each side, turning with a slotted spoon.
- Drain on paper towels. In a small bowl, combine glaze ingredients; brush over warm crullers. Enjoy!