Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 mins
A deep-fried, citrusy delectation from the Western chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cream or 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons orange rind, grated
- confectioners' sugar
- oil, for frying
- Beat eggs thoroughly; add sugar gradually and continue to beat until light.
- Add cream.
- Sift baking powder and flour together and add to first mixture alternately with the orange juice; add orange rind.
- Drop by level teaspoonsful into hot deep fat (365F) and fry until golden brown all over.
- Drain on absorbent paper; when cooled to lukewarm, shake 2 or 3 at a time in a clean paper bag with 1/2 cup powdered sugar.