Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook2 hrs 30 mins
I found this recipe and thought it perfect for Rosh Hashana, but it's also great for Thanksgiving, or anytime you want some sweet chicken.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Wash the orange well with soap and rinse.
- Grate thhe rind from orange (don't include the bitter white part).
- Rinse the chicken and pat it dry.
- Sprinkle it with salt, pepper and half of the grated orange rind.
- Place the chicken breast side up on a rack in a large roasting pan.
- Roast for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pare& cut the sweet potatoes into one inch slices, then toss with the olive oil.
- Place in single layer in the bottom of the roasting pan, arranging the slices around the chicken.
- Continue roasting for another 1 hour and 45 minutes, turning the potatoes occasionally and basting the chicken and potatoes frequently, until the chicken juices run clear when the thickest part of the thigh is pierced with fork and the leg moves freely.
- During the last 1/2 hour of roasting, combine the chicken broth, cranberry sauce and vinegar in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat and let it boil for 20 minutes or until the sauce is reduced to 1 1/2 cups.
- Peel the white pith from orange, remove the seeds and chop up the flesh.
- Stir the remaining rind and chopped orange into the saucepan and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Let the chicken rest for 20 minutes before carving it.
- Cut the chicken in half lengthwise down the middle.
- Spoon the cranberry sauce mixture over chicken and serve with the sweet potatoes.