Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Not only is this great chicken but a good conversation piece for your company. I have included directions to cook the chicken in the oven or on a grill. There is also enough spice to cook an 8 pound chicken. This is what I normally fix. This will serve 6 easily.
- 4 lbs whole roasting chickens
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons chili powder, divided
- 1⁄4 cup orange marmalade
- 12 ounces orange soda
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 1⁄3 cup orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons orange soda, plus
- 1 teaspoon orange soda
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Remove one cooking rack from oven.
- The other rack should be placed on the bottom.
- Chicken should have at least 8 inches for cooking so it doesn't burn.
- Bake chicken for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove and discard neck and giblets from chicken.
- Rinse well and pat dry with paper towels.
- In small bowl, mix together 1 teaspoon of salt, brown sugar and chili powder; mix well.
- Rub this mixture into chicken cavity.
- Measure 2/3 cup of orange soda from can; set aside.
- In another bowl, mix remaining salt, brown sugar and chili powder along with 1/4 cup orange marmalade and 2 teaspoons of orange soda for glazing.
- Spray outside of soda can with nonstick cooking spray; place in a 15 x 10 x 1 inch baking ban lined with aluminum foil.
- This step is if you are cooking it in the oven.
- Carefully set chicken cavity over can, pushing until chicken balances in pan.
- Rub skin with oil.
- During last 30 minutes, paste with marmalade sauce.
- When chicken is done,use thick hot pads and tongs to remove chicken from baking pan;let stand for five to ten minutes before removing soda can.
- Don't tilt chicken because beverage is very hot.
- Remove can by twisting; discard.
- For orange sauce, place 1/3 cup marmalade and 2 Tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon orange soda in a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave for 30 seconds or until warm and bubbly.
- Serve over chicken.
- For grilling, make sure you have at least 8 inch clearance for chicken to stand up.
- Rack should be at lowest position.
- For indirect grilling, you must have a drip pan with a little water placed under the chicken to prevent flare-ups.
- When removing chicken from grill, place a large spatula for grilling under the can for transporting.
- To eliminate this problem, I purchased a beer butt chicken can holder that is specially designed to hold the beer can and help keep the chicken balanced from WalMart.
- It works wonderful.
- To remove chicken from can, let cool and then twist can.