2 hrs 35 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Audrey M's Note:
Not only is this great chicken but a good conversation piece for your company. I have included directions to cook the chicken in the oven or on a grill. There is also enough spice to cook an 8 pound chicken. This is what I normally fix. This will serve 6 easily.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs whole roasting chickens
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons chili powder, divided
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 12 ounces orange soda
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 1/3 cup orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons orange soda, plus
- 1 teaspoon orange soda
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2Remove one cooking rack from oven.
- 3The other rack should be placed on the bottom.
- 4Chicken should have at least 8 inches for cooking so it doesn't burn.
- 5Bake chicken for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.
- 6Remove and discard neck and giblets from chicken.
- 7Rinse well and pat dry with paper towels.
- 8In small bowl, mix together 1 teaspoon of salt, brown sugar and chili powder; mix well.
- 9Rub this mixture into chicken cavity.
- 10Measure 2/3 cup of orange soda from can; set aside.
- 11In another bowl, mix remaining salt, brown sugar and chili powder along with 1/4 cup orange marmalade and 2 teaspoons of orange soda for glazing.
- 12Spray outside of soda can with nonstick cooking spray; place in a 15 x 10 x 1 inch baking ban lined with aluminum foil.
- 13This step is if you are cooking it in the oven.
- 14Carefully set chicken cavity over can, pushing until chicken balances in pan.
- 15Rub skin with oil.
- 16During last 30 minutes, paste with marmalade sauce.
- 17When chicken is done,use thick hot pads and tongs to remove chicken from baking pan;let stand for five to ten minutes before removing soda can.
- 18Don't tilt chicken because beverage is very hot.
- 19Remove can by twisting; discard.
- 20For orange sauce, place 1/3 cup marmalade and 2 Tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon orange soda in a microwave safe bowl.
- 21Microwave for 30 seconds or until warm and bubbly.
- 22Serve over chicken.
- 23For grilling, make sure you have at least 8 inch clearance for chicken to stand up.
- 24Rack should be at lowest position.
- 25For indirect grilling, you must have a drip pan with a little water placed under the chicken to prevent flare-ups.
- 26When removing chicken from grill, place a large spatula for grilling under the can for transporting.
- 27To eliminate this problem, I purchased a beer butt chicken can holder that is specially designed to hold the beer can and help keep the chicken balanced from WalMart.
- 28It works wonderful.
- 29To remove chicken from can, let cool and then twist can.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orange Butt Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (443 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 825.4
- Calories from Fat 439
- Total Fat 48.8 g
- Saturated Fat 13.6 g
- Cholesterol 213.8 mg
- Sodium 1422.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 30.3 g
- Protein 50.5 g